Monday, August 30, 2010

Tributes

It’s my last full day in Vienna and I am turning on the television for the first time see what’s happening in the world via CNN world news. Unfortunately, there wasn’t too much that was news to me. The headlined stories were as follows:

· Hungary air show on 70th Anniversary of Airforce

· Iraq’s change of Power

· Cricket Scandal Probe, Pakistan

· Floodwaters, Pakistan 1600 dead, 17 million affected

· Chilean trapped for 3 weeks, drill will reach in 2-4 months; playing cards will be delivered to miners.

As I was waiting to see an actual story about some of these stories throughout the world, I was disappointed when an hour long tribute to Harry Connick Jr’s humanity work for New Orlean’s 5th year anniversary of Katrina on Larry King Live. As I sat in my flat watching the news I found myself growing more and more annoyed with this story, when I was sure there had to be more important stories with either the miners or the flood in Pakistan. Katrina was five years ago. Devastation is occurring today in Pakistan and now I’m wasting my last day in Vienna watching Harry Connick Jr. advertise his CD. Not only that, but I get the feeling that he’s just trying to profit off New Orleans. Sure, he grew up there, but he even said he hadn’t been there in 12 years. He may have never returned if Katrina had not visited first. Maybe he deserves more credit than I am willing to give him. Even so, I turn the television off when I get a phone call and an invitation to something more interesting.


From the news I head to the Heeresgeschichliche Museum one last time. This Museum has many floors of exhibits and I have yet to see it all after three visits.


Then I’m off to the Ferris wheel at the Prater. This amusement park has survived world wars and we are able to ride it today. It’s incredible to ride to the top and look at the city I have come to know (Ich kenne Wien) and love. All the while, I am pleased to fly home tomorrow. I miss Jeff and I miss my food. I look forward to eating Mexican and Thai. I pick out the skyline of Vienna one last time.


Finally we, our Vienna Class of 2010, celebrates together in Vienna for the last time at the Centimeter Brewery. The swords were epic, the beer quite tasty and the Jäger was the bomb. It’s bittersweet: our farewell hugs to those we experienced Vienna with and our Auf Wiedersehen to Wien. I can’t help but hear the song in my head…

No comments: