Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Flying Home

Zusätzlich

As I fly home, I prepare to live in the United States again instead of Vienna. I am saying good-bye to the Ubahns and Schnitzel (not that I ate any Schnitzel, I'm just being nostalgic). No more sachertorte and no more Heurigen. I do not know what I am going to do with myself when return to the states and return to my real life. I will learn German with a vengeance.

When I boarded my flight home I grab a newspaper, in English so I can read it. On the second (page 3)page find it full of stories that seem to highlight aspects of my trip, my Viennese experiences and my interests almost as if the paper was written for me. The headlines: German official defends race remarks, 6 Roma are killed in capital of Slovakia, and Fighting over a Renaissance masterpiece. It goes from racism to gypsies and human rights to a dispute over art. The main picture on this page is of the Ukrainian leader Viktor F. Yanukovich before the memorial for victims of war and violence in Berlin. While all these stories are not front page news, it is indeed close to the first page and is top news to me.

Now I'm off to finish that paper.

No comments: