Monday, August 2, 2010

Orientation

After this weekend's long hours of travels today was my first full day in Vienna. Today is the first day of getting to know Vienna. German has two words that mean 'to know': Wissen and Kennen. These two words that are used to express knowledge are not interchangeable. Wissen is knowledge of a fact, idea or concept. Kennen is a familiar knowledge or acquaintance with an object, person or place.

Up until this point my knowledge of Vienna has been what I've heard or read about it. What I know has been purely conceptual ideas and facts. Ich weiß etwas über Wien. Today I get to become acquainted with and familiarized with the city. Ich kenne Wien. For this month in Vienna the knowledge of the ideas and concepts I have of the city will fuse with an intimate experience. Im September werde ich Wien kennenlernen und mehr über Wien wissen. I will know Vienna.

In order to become better acquainted with Vienna we have been encouraged to get "lost" daily. On my first day I knew I needed to get 'lost' in Karmelitermarkt, the Jewish and Turkish influenced market in the Leopoldstadt district of Vienna. I got on the UBahn and let myself out at Taborstraße, wandering and hoping to find something good and vegetarian to eat. It was 5:30 pm and I knew it closed at 6:00 so I knew I had little time. I looked at the street names and tried to match them on my map like the classic tourist until I finally found my bearings. I walked in the general direction. Soon I found the market and bought die Eier, frische Gemüse, und Obst.

I wandered into a sandwich shop and ordered a Falafel im bis. The Jewish shop owner from Uzbekistan was excited to meet an Californian. However nothing could compare to his enthusiasm over a wedding. He asked me if I knew Chelsea. I was not sure who he was talking about until he showed me the article in the paper. Ich weiß etwas über Chelsea, Mr. President Bill Clinton's daughter (because I only have an idea of her). This Jewish man was celebrating Ms. Clinton's marriage to a fellow Jew, Marc Mezvinsky, as if this was a victory for Judaism. I wonder if he is privy to Friedrich III's motto,
"Let others wage wars, let you, happy Austrians, marry."



Ich kenne meine Klasse:

Name

Year

Major, Minor

Warum Wien?

Was?

TV

Pet?

Sam

2nd

UND,

GER

Never been

piano, wine, food

Southpark

Zack

2nd (UCSD)

BIOChem

German, Wien, music

coffee house culture

Office (U.S.)

Lynn

4th

Art Studio

Art History credit

art

True Blood

Stephanie

4th

HIS, JST, GER

Includes all majors

anything Jewish, WWII

Law and Order

Diesel

Darrell

4th

Envir Policy/HIS

Second choice

wine garden

Daily Show

Katherine

Grad

Classic, ENG

Habsburg, Roman ruins

wine garden

Jeopardy

Diane

3rd

Classic, HIS

Habsburg, Roman ruins

culinary, wine garden

Top Chef

Richard

4th

Psych, MUS

Psych, music

House of Music

Discovery, Travel, Animal

Sydney

4th

HIS

19th C Habsburg

Food

News

Marielle

4th

MUS, Psych

Freud

coffee, wine

Chuck

Me’lissa

4th

HIS, French, MUS, AfAm

Music, plays clarinet

Mozart

Gilmore Girls

Amanda

3rd

Psych, Econ, HIS

architecture

music, piano

Curb Your Enthusiasm

Mariza

UCSD

Psych, HIS

UCSD Study abroad sucks

Habsburg

House

3 cats

1 Dog

Mike

Grad

HIS, Classic

history

Imperial Palace

Top Chef

Midas golden retriever

Martha

4th

Psych, RST

Viennese, Freud

Hike

medical shows

Carmen

4th

HIS, Classics

HIS 102

19th C culture, musical

Star Trek, Colbert Report

Sarah

3rd

HIS, Medieval

History

City, music

30 Rock

85 lb dog Max

Misha

4th

HIS/SOC

Traveling

Travel

Space

Mini Aus. Shepherd

Matt

4th

HIS

Beautiful Vienna

Alps; WWII

It’s Always Sunny…

Sean

4th

HIS

Musical

Musical

Family Guy

Dog, Rudy

Mike

4th

HIS, Econ

City and History

City

The League

Bailey the boy dog

Gabi

3rd

Psych, SOC, pre-law

Freud, The Sound of Music

United Nations

Dexter, It’s always Sunny, Friends

Ben

3rd

POL, HIS

Tyler recommended

Architecture

It’s Always Sunny

Ben

Aka Bio Man

4th

HIS

Palaces and Cathedrals

Palaces

Arrested Development, Office

4 cats, 2 dogs, 2 bearded dragons

Sheena

4th

Phil, HIS

Vienna

Architecture, Outside Vienna

Trailor Park Boys

2 cats

Christina

Kathy Stuart, our fearless leader

And Louise

4 cats

John Lyons, the Enforcer,

Widely known as Mama Bear



zusätzlich

No comments: