Tuesday, August 10, 2010

KHM


If I employed the services of the Oceans Eleven team in order to break into the Kunsthistorische Museum to steal five pieces for me, I would have them steal different pieces for different reasons.
First on my list would be the statue of Thesius Killing the Centaur, which is at the center of the staircase. I would love to have what was made for Napoleon Bonaparte but what he never owned because his time ran out at Waterloo. It would be a great conversation piece in my front lawn. It would also be quite interesting to know how the guys managed to remove such a huge and heavy piece from the building un-detected.

Second would be the painting of the Woman in Blue by Jan Vermeer because Dr. O loves this painting. I would then give it to her and ask to see her portfolio of art in exchange. In other words, I would give a little and take a little.


Third I would definitely be the portrait of the Prophetess Anna by Rembrandt. The motive for this one is nearly all in the name. Only an insane person would not take advantage of the opportunity to own a painting by Rembrandt. I would also recommend they take a few more while they were in the room just for practice. If they could only acquire one, I pick this one because I like the old lady. There’s just something about the way Rembrandt captured the soft wrinkly face and hand of the old woman. It reminded me of my grandma.


My next to last choice would be this seascape, of which I have lost the title and artist. I like this one because I love the ocean and sailboats and this one is considered the first in “independent sea art history.” I’d love to have the first of something. In addition, this painting is interesting because the wind directions don’t add up in the painting: the sails and waves don’t go in the same direction. I would like to see if my house guests notice the discrepancies.

Finally I would have the guys steal The View from Upper Belvedere because I love the panoramic view of Vienna. I love the skyline of the old city: with the north tower of St. Stephen’s and Karl’s Kirche. I have a room in my house that this painting would go perfect in. I’ve wanted to paint this room and would love to choose my paint chips inspired by this painting.

Upon deciding what I would like to own and a bit of deductive reasoning, it is clear what type of art I do not like. I do not like the Baroque art. It is grand and breathtaking, but too Catholic for me. I do not like its overtly Catholic genre because I am not attached to the saints that are displayed in many of the paintings. I do however like the Gothic style of art a bit better. The colors seem deeper and less vibrant than the Baroque and I like the roundness of Gothic subjects as opposed to the realism. However I would like neither in my home. I would rather leave them in a museum’s exhibit for all to see and enjoy.

No comments: