Thursday, August 12, 2010

Alpine Hike



Our first evening in the Alps welcomed us with rain and it was quite beautiful watching the clouds nestle in the valley below. The next morning was perfect: sunny but not too hot. When we set out in the morning we were not aware that we would be Professor Stuart’s most fit class. Destination: Habsburg Haus and back to the Raxbahn Station.

It was incredible to hike from one vista to the next. I loved the views that the crosses stared at all day long and the air was fresh and crisp. We made it to Otto House where Otto the cat greeted us to congratulate us to our first stop. We hung out with the cat for a while and then continued to our next stop. Our stops were not just benches placed every couple of miles for a rest, but they were full service, stocked with wine, beer and food—all the necessities for an alpine hike.

At our second stop is when my story becomes a little more personal. While the rest of our super-fit group finished up lunch I decided I would just get going, slowly so they would catch up with me. I set out and made it to the next vista and was surprised that my group was nowhere to be seen. I waited for a bit until I decided I went the wrong way and hurried my way back down to where I had seen my group last. Then I found the trail markers and decided I would pick a pace and not slow down until I was reunited with the rest of us or until I reached the Habsburgs House, whichever came first. I had no time to stop for photos which explains my pitiful photoalbum for this event. I passed other alpine hikers and asked if they had passed a group of Americans. I found the answer I was looking for and hoped I would have a minute or two to sit down before hiking back down. I reached the rest of us Americans just as they were walking up to the Habsburg Haus. I sat down flushed and sweating and feeling quite accomplished.

Then we headed down, on a new trail. We arrived back at the Raxbahn station, starving and in dire need of a shower. I did not have a towel in my room and asked the kitchen staff, “Darf ich ein Badtuch haben?” I did not annunciate my German well enough, so I tried English then he proceeded to mime using a towel to dry his back. We laughed as he handed me his towel and I went up to shower to pass the time before dinner.

This was a perfect weekend. I loved the hiking and the memories. It has reminded me how I would much rather get off my backside and raise my heart rate in nature’s beauty. Next summer I will summit Mount Shasta. This summer I will return home to Redding and summit Mount Lassen.

No comments: